Purpose: Sub-micron spheres are typically used to stabilize ingredients, suspend active ingredients in water, and enable flawless formulation and cost-effective production. SalSphere technology is a solution for many natural extracts that are sensitive to oxidation, tend to change color, degrade over time, and are generally not water-soluble.30,000 sq. ft. facility in Hamilton, NJ is a modern example of an agile research, development, and manufacturing firm. Our building is home to all phases of the production of cosmetic, hair care, skin care, and pharmaceutical products. Salvona can do it all for you.
Relatively larger spheres (>0.1 micron) are used to facilitate skin deposition and slow release. SalSphere with Salicylic Acid (BHA) utilizes these spheres to effectively encourage the exfoliation of sensitive skin, reduce excess sebum, and deliver antiseptic properties. Additionally, spheres with relatively smaller particles can enhance the efficacy of encapsulated active ingredients by reaching the lower layers of the epidermis, where they are needed the most. SalSphere with different particles size enables to modulate the adhesion and release rate.
Structure: SalSphere involves the micro-suspension of solid spheres, structured with a core and a shell. The core is solid and made of a hydrophobic blend of materials, while a hydrophilic coating surrounds the core. This sphere core functions as a reservoir for the encapsulated active ingredients. The spheres are suspended in water to form a homogeneous suspension. The hydrophobic core is typically made of a blend of natural ingredients, such as waxes and lipids. The core composition varies from product to product; it’s optimized to offer high compatibility between the core and active, optimal payload, thus meeting the required release characteristics.
The hydrophilic shell prompts the suspension of SalSphere in water. The charge of the shell may be cationic or non-ionic; when combined with cationic charge, the hydrophobic properties can further enhance tight adhesion to skin or hair.
Release Mechanism: Three main conditions can trigger the release of SalSphere active ingredients.
1) Gentle rubbing of the skin. The lipid core can dissolve into the skin (fat) and slowly discharge the load.
2) Heat. Exposure of the spheres to an external source of heat, typically at a temperature above the spheres’ melting point (i.e., hair treatment equipment, like a hairdryer, curling iron, flat iron, etc.), can melt the core and trigger the release. The lowest temperature used to trigger the release is about 70-80°C. It is possible to manufacture a system to trigger the release at a higher temperature.
3) Skin proteolytic enzymes. With certain conditions (i.e., acne) there is an elevated level of endogenous proteolytic enzymes, such as protease, lipase, etc. The increased activity of these enzymes is a typical, natural response to inflammation. These enzymes can trigger the release of active therapeutic from SalSphere at the location (i.e., inflamed pimple), resulting in the localized release. The proteolytic enzymes can digest the core, made with lipids and proteins while releasing the payload.
1) Enable formulation with insoluble actives. SalSphere is used to suspend ingredients that are difficult to incorporate into emulsions, such as Salicylic acid, Resveratrol, Benzoyl peroxide (BPO), Astaxanthin, etc. The SalSphere technology allows chemists to incorporate the active agents to an emulsion base, saving time and money.
2) Reduce irritation through slow release. Many consumers have sensitive skin, thus preventing them from using traditional and effective exfoliating agents such as acids (i.e., AHA, BHA and BPO). With revolutionary technology, it became feasible to treat the skin with the full dosage by delivering the active ingredients in small doses over a longer period. This method of slow release enables the skin to buffer the acid and reduce irritation.
3) Accelerate anti-aging processes with enhanced bioavailability. The skin rejuvenation process occurs deep in the skin where new cells are born, at the layer called the dermis. It’s prudent to increase the bioavailability of beneficial ingredients at that location. With this goal, SalSphere was formulated with encapsulated actives—such as Retinol and collagen-inducing peptides—to benefit the consumer through deeper active ingredient delivery. SalSphere can transform hydrophilic ingredients with minimal bioavailability by encapsulating them within hydrophobic spheres. These tiny spheres melt into the skin and deliver the active agents to deeper layers where they are needed the most, resulting in faster effects.
4) Repair and maintain youthful skin by improving barrier properties and water retention. Repairing the skin’s barrier properties is a necessary step to enhance water retention and induce the anti-aging process. SalSphere enables the delivery of key ingredients required to accelerate the rebuilding and repairing of the tissue. These ingredients include antioxidants (Polyphenols, Anthocyanin, Astaxanthin), multivitamins, essential fatty acids (Omega 3, 6, 9), etc. The encapsulation of essential fatty acids from botanical sources (algal oils, nuts, and seeds) can enhance the ingredients’ stability and reduce malodor.
5) Continuous treatment with enhanced deposition. The purpose of facial wash products is to strip the skin from dirt and excess oil. SalSphere technology is designed to counteract these materials and deposit beneficial ingredients onto the skin. The resulting adhesion prevents the waste of desired components, such as moisturizers. SalSphere deposits and maintains moisturizing ingredients—such as aloe vera, coconut oil, hyaluronic acid, ceramides, etc.—for a longer period, ensuring that they stay effective after washing the skin.
6) Induce instant, long-lasting benefits. SalSphere technology can combine various functional ingredients into a single SalSphere to produce immediate, sensory effects and extended cosmetic and physiological benefits. Products like SalSphere Aqua Skin use algae and glycerin, which can provide quick hydration. When combined with caffeine, these ingredients activate the AquaPorin mechanism for longer-lasting benefits. Another example is SalSphere Anti-Aging Lift, which fosters a tightening sensory effect while releasing collagen-boosting peptides to facilitate a longer-lasting impact.
7) Increase efficacy. This is achieved by combining ingredients that work in different mechanisms to reach the same results. SalSphere Light is an example of utilizing SalSphere technology to tone the skin, with multiple natural ingredients that work in other ways.
8) Create your signature product. SalSphere enables the creation of a signature proprietary product for both practical and marketing purposes. By encapsulating a group of special ingredients that are representative of the brand’s signature, SalSphere reduces production steps and cost while establishing a unique position in the marketplace.