A stable and targeted delivery system of benzoyl peroxide for the treatment of acne.
- Stable form of benzoyl peroxide for the treatment of acne
- Encapsulation allows for targeted delivery of BPO to the hair follicles and pimples, where acne-causing bacteria are active
BPO is an FDA-approved acne treatment to clear pores and eradicate acne-causing bacteria. However, it is very difficult to formulate with due to these challenges. First, poor water solubility and high instability present a challenge. Second, it often results in skin dryness and discomfort. Third, its large particle size hinders its ability to penetrate the hair follicles and kill the acne-causing bacteria.
SS BPO is an encapsulation technology designed to enhance the acne treatment and tackle these BPO issues. SS BPO has superior stability and is more easily incorporated into finished products. Additionally, SS BPO has been designed to be compatible when combined with other encapsulated SalSphere® Rx actives for acne to maximize the efficiency without compromising stability.
- Ready for formulation - Improved stability and encapsulation provides a safe, quick, and easy way to formulate acne solutions.
- Targeted delivery - SalSphere® technology is designed to deliver BPO where it is needed most in the hair follicles to exert maximum effect.
- Gentle, slow release - With controlled release technology, SS BPO is gentle on the skin. The Repeat Insult Patch Test (RIPT) for SS BPO shows that it is a non-primary irritant, making it suitable for sensitive skin.
How the technology helps you
SS BPO is a sub-micron encapsulation system of benzoyol peroxide (Figure 1, 2). The small particle size of the technology is designed to facilitate the targeted delivery of benzoyl peroxide into the follicles. Upon application of the product, the sub-micron spheres adhere to the pimples, where they will dissolve and slowly release BPO directly into the hair follicles.
|Appearance @ 20°C
||Creams, lotions, spot treatments, and facial cleansers|
||White to off-white|
|pH (1 % solution)
||4.5 ± 1.5|
|BPO Assay (HPLC) (Wt.%)||25 ± 10|
|Shelf Life (months)
|Usage Level (wt%)
||Closed container at 12-32°|
Formulation Guidelines for SalSphere BPO
- Best results are from post-addition after the emulsification step.
- Use of amphoteric surfactants such as cocamidopropyl betaine or sodium alpha olefin sulfonate recommended.
- Mildly anionic surfactants such as sodium lauroyl sarcosinate (amphoteric below pH 5.2) are compatible in lower concentrations (< 5%).
- Incompatible with strongly anionic surfactants such as sulfates (SLS, SLES, ALES, etc.) and phosphates (cetearyl phosphate, other alkyl phosphates).
- Incompatible with acrylates and carbomers. Use of non-ionic/cationic emulsifiers or gums is advised for increasing viscosity.
- Do not heat above 45ºC.